Trying to access a website from a tablet or Smartphone can be quite frustrating – frustrating enough, in fact, that the user will go find a site they can actually see without continuously scrolling or waiting forever for the site to load. If your current website is designed only for users of computers or PC’s with larger screens, you may be missing out on a huge opportunity to connect with a large and growing audience!
Today, there are more than 97 million users of mobile internet devices in the U.S. In fact, it’s forecast that by 2015, the internet will be accessed from a smartphone or other mobile device by about half of the U.S. population. Without mobile web design, you’re missing out on an incredible number of opportunities – and as the mobile world continues to grow, so do your losses.
Here are 5 of the most essential features of mobile web design:
- Streamlined and simple. For the most part, people don’t read a lot of content on mobile devices. Make the essential information (address, contact number, etc.) super-easy to find. Keep details to a minimum; relevant content should fit on a single page.
- Clearly visible icons, buttons and navigation. Most people use a thumb to click on an icon or slide the screen. Make sure that your icons and buttons are large and clearly visible, so navigation is simple to accomplish one-handed.
- Super-fast loading, small files. For many smartphone users who are on data plans, small files that are quick to download and lightning-fast website loading times are essential.
- Minimal bells and whistles. For mobile device users to have the best possible experience, Flash should be avoided. In recent months, some phones allow it, but the experience is still not a pleasant one. Keep in mind that video and other “special effects” are handled differently in mobile web design.
- Take advantage of inbuilt functionality. Mobile devices can do lots of things that a PC or lap top just can’t do – for instance, GPS and phone call functionality. Offer your visitors a way to locate or contact your company easily, with a simple touch of a button.
In today’s busy, on-the-go world, it is crucial that your target customers be able to easily access your business from anywhere they may be. If you haven’t given much thought to the importance of mobile web design, you’re potentially losing valuable clients – it’s really as simple as that.