As a trusted Atlanta digital marketing company, we know that unfortunately, many business owners believe everything they read online. You read the latest “super” tactic for implementing effective SEO, and it may be the best thing ever. The problem is, what works with SEO may be different a month after you read what’s working now. On the Internet, things change faster than you can keep up with them. However, there are some really big myths that have been around for a while regarding social media, content, SEO, etc. What are these myths?
We are about to tell you! Here are the 5 biggest myths about digital marketing:
1. Changing your website content will improve SEO. Actually, changing content that has been on your website for some time will probably hurt its rankings more than it will help. Unless your products or services have changed, your website pages should stay the same. However, adding brand new pages to your website and creating quality blog posts WILL help your rankings, and boost the overall quality of your website.
2. When it comes to search engine optimization, on-page factors are the most important. Your website pages do have to be informative and let Google know what you do, but it’s off-page factors that contribute most to how high your website will rank. Google wants to know that OTHER websites think yours is a quality website. This happens when you have links coming into your site from relevant websites and blogs, directories, social media, etc.
3. SEO is dead. What? If search engine optimization didn’t exist, there would be no way for Google or any search engine to locate relevant results to deliver to users. SEO tactics change, but search engine optimization never dies.
4. You should use as many social media platforms as possible. Not really. First, your target audience probably doesn’t hang around every social media platform. Second, your time is valuable – and spending substantial time on lesser-known and lesser-used social media platforms does not deliver a very high ROI. Stick with Facebook, Twitter, Google+, just a handful of the most popular platforms for results, and only those social media channels that are relevant to your target audience. Do your due diligence and find out where your customers are hanging out!
5. Once you have your marketing strategy in place, you can set it and forget it. Hardly! Being successful with digital marketing is a constant workout. You never stop working, and there is no “secret” or simple way to attract new leads and customers. Consistency, focus, and a lot of elbow grease are what lead you to the pot of gold, but even then the work continues – or your competition moves ahead of you.
These are just a few of the most popular myths floating around in cyberspace. If you need help increasing visibility and putting your products/services in front of your target audience, the Atlanta digital marketing team at EBB Web Design can help!Google+