As the new waves of marketing are requiring more businesses to become transparent and accessible to their clients, blogs are being put up faster than ever. This is a huge step in making businesses more personal and interactive. Blogs allow businesses to become more intimate with their customers, find out what their customers likes and needs are, and open up a forum of communication that wasn’t there before. Another upside that some companies may not even consider is that blogs give you great search engine visibility.
Many businesses will set up their own blogs, or their web design firm will do it for them, and not realize that there is a large amount of work that goes into blog maintenance. After a little while, it’s common for business owners to ask the question, “Can I Hire Someone To Blog For Me?” The answer to that question is “YES”. Here are a few things to keep in mind when searching for a blog writer.
Where Can I Find Someone To Blog For Me?
There are a few places you can start out.
- Post a classified ad on some type of job board (i.e. Craigslist, Monster Jobs, etc)
- Post an ad on a freelance job board (i.e. Elance)
- Search for freelance writers or “virtual assistants” using search engines (i.e. Google, Bing, etc.)
- Search for experienced digital marketers who have virtual assistant divisions
How Much Will It Cost For Blogging Services?
The price of hiring someone to blog for you will vary based on a few factors. How often will they be posting for you? What type of interaction are you looking for? Do you want them to respond to comments on your blog? Do you want them to socially syndicate your content? How long do you want your posts to be? How experienced is the writer?
In our experience, it is best to have someone syndicate your blog content for you if they’re going to write for you. This increases the visibility of your posts. This should be handled by someone who has experience in the digital marketing industry, and is familiar with social media management and blogging services. Each business is different, however, and most virtual assistants or digital marketing companies with offer their services a la carte. If you’d like to handle your own social media and have someone simply “keep up” your blog, this is usually an option. Remember, however, that cheaper options are not always better options, and expensive prices doesn’t necessary mean quality work.
What Should I Look For In A Blog Writer Or Virtual Assistant?
There are a few things you want to look for when searching for a blogger.
- Good Grammar
- Ability To Identify With Your Audience – If someone’s writing style is too conservative and they can’t speak to your Guitar Lessons audience, that won’t help you. Conversely, if someone is someone is a little too loose with their tongue to write for your Chamber of Commerce blog, your business won’t be represented properly.
- Is This Someone You Would Like To Represent The “Face” Of The Company? – Your blog will become the virtual “face” of your business. Don’t put it in the hands of someone you wouldn’t want to speak on your behalf.
- Are They Knowledgeable About Blogging? – Just because someone is a freelance writer, doesn’t mean they understand the “blog” medium. You’ll want someone familiar with blogging strategies and techniques.